The R20 Method: What is it?
"R" stands for repeating and 20 for the time between treatments. This method is a series of 4 treatments spaced 20 minutes apart. It claims to be, "much more effective than conventional laser tattoo treatments, removing most tattoos in just one session."
Awesome! Sign me up! All the research I had done said to wait 6-8 weeks between sessions and I can sit for about 80 minutes and have my tattoo pretty much gone. Perfect. Except, it's not.
The study of this method is a Greek study published in 2011 by American Academy of Dermatology.
- The study was only done on black tattoos. The study supports no data for colored tattoos.
- This method caused greater epidermal injury and increased the risk of side effects. ( blisters, scabbing, scarring and skin discoloration)
- The study was done with an uncommon laser ( Alexandrite)
- Only 12 patients were included in the study
- The study was only done on very fair colored skin types